If you are like me, then you have probably seen Dr Marten sandals all over social media and have wondered if they are really worth it. I can now say that they truly are worth the price and the break-in period. Recently I purchased the Clarissa II quad sandal from ASOS and I am in LOVE with them! I will say the sandals have some pros and cons that I will go over.
- Go with LITERALLY everything! Seriously, you can wear them with a dress or shorts.
- Durability. They are made of real leather and have a very solid, hard bottom. You can also just tell by looking at them that they are made to last.
- Short break-in period. I wore them everyday for a week and they are broken in. I got one minor blister on my heel that is healing and the straps were slightly tight, but they are leather.
- Break-in period. Yes it goes in both pros and cons. For me the break-in period was quick and pretty painless, but some people in the reviews I read said it was way longer and they got a lot of blisters. I definitely think this depends on the person and the shape of foot they have.
- Price point. I like to invest in great shoes and think the price is totally worth it ($140!). Luckily I found mine on sale at ASOS last minute for $35 off. Different people have different views on what is and what isn’t expensive.
- Care. I don’t think this is a terrible con, but there is a certain amount of care that they take to maintain them and keep them in good condition. On Dr Martens website it just says to wash dirt of of them with a damp washcloth. They also recommend apply a neutral or correct colored wax based shoe polish and buffing them with their shoe brush to restore shine as needed or desired. This is more upkeep than your normal sandal, but nothing too bad.
Overall, there is not a lot of cons because they are exactly what I was expecting them to be like!
I decided to go with the Clarissa II quad sandals in black. I had been eyeing this specific style for over a year, maybe close to two! Personally, I couldn’t be happier with this style because it is what I was looking for. They are pretty heavy, maybe 3-5lbs a sandal. If you are wanting a more lightweight sandal you should definitely look at their other styles of sandals! The Clarissa II quad sandals only come in black, some of their other styles come in white and other fun, brighter colors.
Before buying this specific style of Dr Marten sandal I read a lot of reviews and they all said to go down one size. I decided to go with the reviews and I got a size 7 and I am normally a size 8. If you are trying to decide what size to order I would definitely go down one size because an 8 would have been GIANT on me.
Like any other Dr Marten shoe, they do have a break-in period. I wore mine for a solid week, everyday for 8-9 hours a day and broke them in. Throughout the day I stood a lot in them and did walk quite a bit. When I first put them on I noticed the top straps were kind of tight, other then that nothing else was bad. I ended up getting a small blister on the back of my ankle, but that was it. After the break-in period is over they are literally the most comfortable sandals EVER, you could not make me give them up for anything!
One of the main reasons I got this specific style of Dr Marten sandal is because of how easy they are to style. I have worn them with denim shorts and a tee, jeans and a cute top, and I have worn them with a skirt! They are easy to style and somehow go with everything. I also think they are a very versatile sandal that can transition between seasons. They easily work in spring and summer along with autumn if you style them with a skirt and sweater!
The Clarissa II quad sandal is definitely an investment, but they are now a staple in my wardrobe and I can wear them for years. When it comes to shoes I like to invest and get good shoes so they last a long time. Before buying these shoes I had looked at a ton of styling ideas on Pinterest and Instagram, I also saw a lot of people with them. Ultimately, I decided to go for the real thing and not a dupe because I knew I really wanted them and would get good use out of them. If you are unsure or have any questions leave a comment or message me on Instagram!